Wednesday, January 25, 2012

I was supposed to be implementing my goals?

 We've been sick. Really sick. And so, I've done almost nothing related to anything. Since we got sick two weeks ago we've gone out to eat twice and other than making some crackers and a couple of very simple dinners I've done almost no cooking at all. J has picked up the slack admirably and made dinner a number of times and spent quite a bit of time with the kids. On top of the plague that won't go away, our basement flooded following a weekend of modest snowfall followed by a few days of extreme rainfall. We live on a hill and not surprisingly, water tends to travel downhill. We had hoped to wait until summer to install a permanent sump pump and and all the attendant plumbing that is going to go with that but realistically we need to get moving on it now. I'm hoping to do our taxes this next week which will likely give us the means to pay for that as well as a wood stove. Our current primary heat is a wood furnace in the basement. It works well but consumes wood at an alarming rate and doesn't burn very cleanly. Also, the chimney is unlined, needs a fair amount of work, and runs right up through a corner of the kitchen. The wood stove will go in the living room. I'm looking forward to not having to go down to the basement to feed the fire all the time (although it is good exercise) and to being able to cook on it. I envision a pot of soup or stew happily simmering away on it a couple of times a week. When it comes time to remodel the kitchen we'll take out the chimney which will open up the kitchen nicely.

On a completely unrelated subject, J and I started putting dreadlocks in my hair right after thanksgiving. Most people would probably think this was an odd choice as I'm generally known for having a chin length bob that then exists for a year or two in various stages of being grown out before I get around to getting it cut again. I had considered dreads right after my first husband and I split but I was worried that it was simply a reaction to major changes in my life and opted not to do something quite so long term. The desire for them never fully went away though and I figured that 10yrs of longing was probably a fairly good indication that it wasn't a passing fancy. Unfortunately, the first time J and I did them, we did them too big and I had to take them out and start all over again. Once we started again it was very, very slow going. We destroyed a number of combs in the process and only got through about 1/3 of my hair. And there it has stayed in all its underdone glory. I'm sick of it. The roots haven't tightened up the way I wanted and it just keeps looking frizzier and frizzier. So today, I'm combing them out as best I can. I haven't given up on having them but I think that for a number of reasons we need to start from the beginning. I suspect that it may take us a couple of months to start them again but hopefully we can get my whole head done in a matter of days instead of months.

I'm headed up to Seattle tomorrow evening to share a weekend with two of my best friends and the girlfriend of one of them. It will be the first time since my kids were born that I've gotten to get together with both of them at the same time without any children along for the visit. I'm very much looking forward to it.Hopefully once I get back I'll be ready to get back into the swing of things and I'll have some progress to report.

No comments:

Post a Comment